It’s a terrifying thought but a very realistic possibility that your home could be making you sick. From headaches and dermatological concerns, to asthma and other respiratory illnesses such as pneumonia and bronchitis, your home can be the cause of a range of health issues you and your family are suffering.
The main reason for this is due to poor ventilation, which creates a damp and humid environment for mould and mildew to thrive. Mould is incredibly toxic, and dangerous to leave unchecked.
What Are the Side Effects of Having Mould in Your Home?
Breathing in mould’s toxic spores can be compared to the effects of second hand smoke. If that’s not bad enough, it also makes your family more susceptible to illness, irritation, skin disorders and can exacerbate existing illnesses and allergies.
Mould can be hard to get rid of. Harsh chemicals can remove the mould in-situ, but it won’t help prevent mould long term. You need to control the source of the moisture to be able to eliminate it for good. However, you should still remove the mould as soon as you notice it as it can cause damage to the surface it is growing on.
What Causes Mould?
Mould grows where there is moisture, in areas of the house that get wet, and in areas with poor ventilation. Kitchens and bathrooms are prone to mould due to high levels of humidity and condensation. Bedrooms and wardrobes can also be prone to mould due to poor ventilation, and warm indoor air clashing with cold outdoor air at your windows creating condensation. Walls and ceilings are also at risk, especially in bathrooms and bedrooms where there are higher levels of condensation.
Experiencing leaks in your home can also put your home at greater risk, which is typically caused by insufficient insulation or rain seeping through the roof if your gutters aren’t doing their job.
How Can You Rid Your Home of Mould?
First you should address the source of the mould and what is causing it to spread. There may be many sources of the mould, so you should address each one of them, as sorting only one will not eliminate mould completely.
You should look into home ventilation systems or dehumidifiers to remove moisture from your home. It’s also recommended to install extractor fans in your bathroom, laundry and even your kitchen if you don’t already have one. This will help to remove moisture. You can also regularly air out your home by opening windows and doors to get fresh air throughout the house. Be sure to open cupboards and closets when you do ventilate your home. You should also check the back of your curtains as this is a typical place for mould to thrive - you can wash your curtains to remove the mould.
Another way to eliminate the source of the moisture is to regularly check and clean your gutters. If your gutters are blocked, water will not be able to flow freely through to your drains. When your gutters overflow, it can seep into your walls, creating leaks and adding moisture that will cause mould.
To avoid such issues, you should consider installing gutter guard protection such as gutter mesh. Gutter guard protection can prevent debris building up in your gutters and keep your gutters clear so water can flow through seamlessly. Gutter guards can protect your gutters for up to 15 years.
For a personalised gutter guard plan, talk to Aussie Gutter Protection, the leaders in gutter protection and bird proofing solutions in Melbourne.
Trusted for over 17 years by 12,000+ happy customers. Aussie Gutter Protection is a family owned business, and we understand the importance of family values when dealing with homeowners. Our continued focus on excellent service and quality enables us to...
Gutter guard (also referred to as gutter protection or leaf guard) is a product that has been developed to prevent damage and the inconvenience caused by clogged gutters in residential and commercial buildings. Buildings without gutter guard typically have...
For homes across Australia, it’s quite common to be faced with problems related to birds and pests inhabiting their roofs. You often don’t know what exactly is causing that scratching, chirping or chewing sound; it could be birds, mice, possums or rats making your roof their new home...